Day Four - Thursday
Title/Theme: Explore the dimension in fractals.
Lecture Topics: Explore the dimension in fractals.
- Continue with the mathematics behind the fractals.
- The paradox of the Koch curve. Is it finite or infinite?
- How long is the Canadian coastline?
- Students will learn that the dimension of a shape is not always a whole number.
- Using fractals, they will learn to measure the roughness of a shape for which its length cannot be measured or is infinite.
- Lesson followed by hands-on activity on computing the Canadian coastline from a real map and/or using a computer.
Facilities Required: Computer Lab
Materials: Notepads and pens, rulers, strings; Large laminated color prints of maps and photos. Materials for building fractal contest to be purchased.